Universal Design & Barrier Free Conversions
Improving Accessibility & Removing Barriers in MD & VA Homes
Age, illness, or injury can make living in the home you love difficult. You and your loved ones may even be considering moving into a more accessible living space to accommodate. This could mean leaving friends, family, and your home behind.
If you or a loved one are facing this decision but don’t want to or cannot afford to leave your home, universal design or barrier-free design may be for you.
Universal design aims to make a person’s current home environment accessible for a wide range of adaptations without feeling clinical or intrusive. Changes such as motion-sensing light switches, ramps instead of stairs, and grab bars can help you remain in your home.
Adroit Design Remodeling can help with a wide range of home accommodation projects to make aging-in-place become a reality:
- Install better lighting
- Double-sided tape to secure rugs
- Install emergency response systems
- Place non-slip strips on stairs
- Install comfort height, elongated toilets and seats
- Add grab bars to showers, tubs, and around toilets
- Replace faucets and door handles with lever-style handles
- Modifications to allow first-floor living, such as moving laundry facilities
- Widen doorways to accommodate wheelchairs or walkers
- Install ramps, stair lifts, or elevators
- Enlarge bathroom facilities to adjust for wheelchairs
- Place ramps on exterior entrances
- Install walk-in or roll-in showers
- Raise or lower countertops
- Install drawer-type dishwashers to avoid bending
If you or a loved one need some home modifications put into place to allow for aging-in-place or to accommodate an injury or illness, contact the design professionals at Adroit Design Remodeling to schedule your free consultation with our certified aging in place specialist.